Tuesday, February 7, 2012

3D Design - First Project

In my 3D Design Class at Bellarmine University, our first project was to create an object out of cardboard that could be installed somewhere on campus, playing off of the installation space in some way.

Seeing two parallel pipes running along the ceiling of the art studio gave me the idea of hanging a cable car on one of them to give the room the appearance of a train station.
This was the result:

To begin, I cut, out of a sheet of cardboard, an approximately five-foot long silhouette of the car I planned to build, as well as four cross-sectional ribs, each equipped with a hook on top to attach the whole thing to the pipe.
Cutting notches into both the ribs and spine allowed me to fit them together to form a skeleton, around which I would fit the hull.

The main section of the hull is a single sheet of cardboard, scored such that it can fold around the ribs at their corners, creating a seamless shell. The windows were cut into the sides once the hull was wrapped.

The back of the car consists of a fifth cross-section with extensions on each face. the extensions were scored and folded in to fit within the hull. Spring tension holds the stern flush with the hull.
The nose was constructed last. Inevitable inaccuracies combined with warping of the cardboard spine due to water damage prevented me from attaching a clean net of the nose. I built the nose piece by piece, measuring gaps and filling them with custom-fit panels. The panels were fixed together with cardboard tape and hot-glue.








No comments:

Post a Comment